Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Joe and Ginette play in Malaysia!



Both Joe and Ginette went up to Malaysia individually to play at different events recently. Ginette played with Twilight Action Girl at Loft, Zouk KL on Friday 13th July while Joe spinned at Juice Mag 5th bday bash at Passion on the 30th of June.

I sat down with them to ask them a few questions of their experiences.

1. What is unique about the Malaysian audience?

Ginette: The thing that's unique about our neighbours is that they'll dance to anything! Even to music they don’t know, so that's great!

Joe: It went like a flash and the few hours snapped to an end. Just like that. It was such a kick. I beleive if you drop in a good tune, audience from anywhere will react in similar berserk fashion.

2. How would you compare the indie scene to Singapore?

Ginette: From many times I've played at gigs with my band and that recent time when I went to spin with TAG, I would say that the Malaysian scene kids are very open and receptive to new forms of music and very very hospitable. Everytime I'm there, it's fabulous!

Joe: Malaysia has a super vibrant scene. The fact that the peninsula with a population close to 30 million and a huge landmass, is a hinterland of creative opportunities. Although Kuala Lumpur is still very much where it's at, all the major cities have their own scene. It creates a rich diversity, like a scene within a scene.

3. Did you have to adapt your play list to a different audience or were they as susceptible to the tunes you usually spin at Beat!?

Ginette: I didn't have to adapt at all. They knew everything and are crazy party folks!

Joe: Slightly. What I know from playing at Beat was that you never go in with a set playlist. You have to feel the crowd. That's what I did that night.

4. What did you think of the other acts that played that night?

Ginette: TAG are great, especially to have done this for so many years now. I've always thought them great and helped bring them down to our island to spin with Poptart back in '05.

Joe: Zack was the other guest dj/selecter that night. He's from KL and is in a band called the Desserters. He's a good friend. We got smashed but fortunately his wife who was sober drove us home.

5. Who is one Malaysian act you admire and would like to play with?

Ginette: I'm not very familiar with their DJs, but I am familiar with a few of their bands and are friends with them. I've been playing shows there with my various bands since '93. I like playing with KLPHQ, the guys are great!

Joe: The guys from Twilight Action Girl! We gotten them over a few weeks ago. Ginette went up to gig there last month.

6. Do you have many Malaysian trips planned in the future? What about other international destinations?

Ginette: I'll be playing the rock tent with TAG (Twilight Action Girl) in October in the Malaysian leg of the Global Gathering! So I'm really excited about that! My own slot! I hope to do Loft, Zouk KL again soon of course!

Joe: Yessss. 7th Sept at TAG. When TAG's main man Daryl smsed me that my date was confirmed, I immediately booked my bus tickets up.

I so super wanna go party at Bangkok's own indienight called Dudesweet.

No comments: