Saturday, September 30, 2006

Battle of the Bands Finals

This weeks Battle of the Bands saw a much bigger crowd than any of the previous Battle of the Bands. No surprise though, it was the finals. First off was Inkout, a band who I previously mentioned as youngster with alot of potential. They kicked off (with a steel-toed boot) the night with their high-energy punk-rock. I don't know if it was the nerves, if it was, i can completely empathize, but these guys seemed a bit frozen on stage. One can't deny their raw talent though. Next up were Es War Einmal... I have to say although not initially impressed with these guys, this time they really brought the thunder. The drummer was incredibly tight, pummelling (and then later breaking) the crash with a 4/4 beat that drove right to your brain. In comparison to the guys before, this group had much more stage presence. A vocalist who performed as if going through the motions of a greek tragedy together with professional headbanging guitar and bass players made for an aggresive and powerful series of original songs. Next was Pressplay, the band of brothers and cousins, that usually managed to infuse alot of humour and anecdotes into their bits in between songs had problems with the sound. In my opinion they could have complained less, but hey I wasn't the one having the problems and this competition obviously meant alot to them. The singer ended up in a heap screaming his lyrics to a mic that tried desperately (but failed) to pick up his lyrics. Last off was Flybar, those who I have already made a prediction to win this year's World Battle of the Bands here in Singapore. Surely enough the started out strong, although after watching them for the second time it's clear that they had every move rehearsed. Watching them for a second time they seemed somewhat mechanical, but still a very tight band and great performers. I still think these guys are gonna go and win, even though they are a bit robotic. Two will go to the finals (yeah I know it's confusing i don't understand the system either, finals and then finals again?) at timber this Saturday. Those two are Pressplay and Flybar, If I had my own way it would have been Es War Einmal and Flybar. I wonder who's gonna win... or do I?

No comments: